Do you have a picky eater (or as I like to say, a child who is still learning to like a variety of foods)? Are you looking for ways to get green veggies into your kid’s belly? My daughter Ayla loves these muffins! I put her in charge of making them because they go quick and I can’t keep up with production. These muffins are gluten free, diary free, nutrient dense, and loaded with fiber and healthy fats from the spinach, banana, flaxseeds, and hemp seeds. Chocolate Chip Spinach Muffins make a great snack, an after dinner treat, or part of a balance breakfast with scrambled eggs.
If you kids are still learning to be adventurous eaters, I recommend making this recipe together. It is great exposure and I find that kids are so proud of their creation, they can’t wait to dive in. Looking to get your kids more involved in the kitchen? Take a look at my Kids in the Kitchen virtual cooking classes. They are a great tool to help kids develop their kitchen skills, build their confidence, expose them to veggies, and encourage them to try delicious and nutritious food in a safe, no pressure, environment.
Gives these muffins a try and let me know what your family thinks. Download my Taste-O-Meter to help make trying new food fun!
1 3/4 cup rolled oats, uncooked (check for gluten free certification if that is important to you)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup flaxseeds, ground
1/4 sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons hempseeds
1/2 cup avocado oil
2 ripe bananas
1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
1/2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup almond milk, unsweetened (or milk of choice)
1 to 2 handfuls fresh spinach
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (I like Enjoy Life)
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Grease the muffin tin or use muffin liners.
- Blend the oats, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and ground flaxseed together, until a flour is formed.
- Pour dry ingredients into a bowl, and set aside.
- Blend together eggs, avocado oil, honey, vanilla extract, apple cider vinegar, almond milk, and spinach.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Add chocolate chips.
- Pour batter evenly into a 12 muffin tin pan.
- Sprinkle with hemp seeds.
- Cook for 20 minutes. Let cool and enjoy!