Are you looking for healthy back to school snack ideas? I’ve got you covered!
When it comes to packing back to school snack, I recommend making sure a protein, healthy fat, and fiber is included to help balance kid’s blood sugar and keep them feeling satiated until lunch. When we think of kid’s snacks many of us think of chips, crackers, and bars. These snacks are delicious but are void of nutrients. They contain little protein, fiber, and healthy fat which leave our kids feeling hungry soon after they consume them. These snacks will spike our blood sugar, giving us quick energy, but then our blood sugar drops quickly, leaving us feeling tired and hungry and wanting more energy. Hence, “I’m hungry!” less than an hour after their snack.
To avoid this cycle, I recommend packing your kids a mini meal including protein, fat, and fiber. You can always include a fun food as well like crackers, popcorn, or chips.
A few of our favorite mini meals for school include:
- Cheese and Simple Mills Crackers with fruit and veggies
- Chomps Meat stick, Lesser Evil Popcorn, fruit and veggie
- Guacamole with Siete chips and a fruit and veggie
- Plain full fat yogurt with berries and low sugar Purely Elizabeth Granola
- A homemade muffin (Check out Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Muffins or Chocolate Chip Spinach Muffins) along with a fruit and veggie
- Powerballs with Lesser Evil Puffs and a fruit and veggie
Why I like to pack veggies with most of my girls snacks and meals.
- Helps to normalize veggies.
- Helps to provide opportunity through out the day to eat veggies.
- The more we expose kids to veggies, the more familiar they will become, the more willing they are to try them.
If your child isn’t a veggie eater YET, I recommend just packing 1 carrot stick or 1 cucumber round so a lot of food doesn’t go to waste and so it doesn’t feel as overwhelming to your child. Smaller portions are always better and then they can always go back for more or if they are at school and you notice the carrot stick is gone, you can pack 2 the next day.
My favorite tool for packing snacks
Lunchbots makes it super easy for me to pack my girls snacks. I love that they are stainless steel, easy to clean, and durable. I bought my first Lunchbot 7 years ago and it still looks as good as new. My favorite Lunchbot for snacks is the 4 compartment one, making it easy to pack a fruit, veggie, fun food, and a protein/fat food like a turkey and cheese roll.
Cheers to a great school year for your family full of learning, laughter, friendships, and delicious, nutritious food!